Grant applications are not currently being accepted.
The next grants call is anticipated to be in September 2023. Please join as a networking member to receive email updates about funding opportunities as they become available.
Initiatives/activities supported by the Central Wellness Coalition must comply with public health guidance related to Covid-19.
Click here to download the Microsoft Word version of the Community Grant Guidelines and Application
Click here for PDF version of the Community Grant Guidelines and Application
What is the purpose of Community Grants?
The purpose of Community Grants is to support groups and organizations in the central region (health authority boundaries) who are working to promote wellness in their communities and to foster partnerships among community groups.
What amount of funding is available?
- Grants are available for a maximum of $1500.00.
- Funding must be used within one year of receiving grant.
Who is eligible to apply?
To be eligible to apply for funding from the Community Grants Program, a group must be:
- A community group, not for profit organization, municipality or a school,
- Operating within the Central Regional Health Authority area and
- A Central Wellness Coalition (CWC) networking member (you can join for free on the website by clicking HERE ).
Things to consider:
Priority will be given to groups that have not received funding from the Community Grants Program in the past 12 months.
- Applicants are encouraged to partner with other community groups or organizations.
- Priority will be given to applicants who do not have access to other funding sources (e.g. Provincial Active NL Fund, CLICK HERE for more info ).
- Acknowledge the contribution of the Central Wellness Coalition as appropriate in their project. (e.g. in advertising, media interviews, social media posts, displays, and publications etc.).
- Support at least one of the following priority wellness areas and Provincial action plans such as The Way Forward in their grant proposal.
- Healthy Eating (e.g. choosing healthy food and beverages, cooking, community gardens, etc.)
- Mental Wellness (e.g. stress management, coping skills, self-esteem building)
- Injury Prevention (e.g. car seat safety, bike helmet safety, prevention of slips & falls)
- Child & Youth Development
- Physical Activity
- Tobacco/Vaping awareness
- Follow CWC Healthy Eating Guidelines any foods purchased and/or served. Click HERE for a copy of the "Healthy Eating Guidelines for Meetings and Events"
What are some examples of eligible expenses?
- Community wellness events or activities.
- Materials, supplies (paper, resources, etc).
- Minor equipment directly related to your project (play equipment such as balls and nets, outdoor classroom materials, snowshoes, etc.). Note Playground equipment such as slides, play huts, diggers etc. are considered major equipment and are not eligible for funding.
- Small honoraria approved up to a maximum of $100; guest speaker/professional fees approved up to $300.
- Costs associated with booking or renting a venue.
- Food: must follow the CWC Healthy Eating Guidelines.
- Travel expenses (please note: some exceptions may apply).
What expenses are ineligible and will not be considered?
- Core operating expenses usually covered by your organization (e.g. power or phone bills).
- Contributions to annual fundraising drives or scholarships or individual gains, including scholarships or bursaries.
- Registration fees for individual membership, program participation, and conferences.
- Salaries and coordinating fees.
When is the application deadline?
How to apply?
Each applicant must complete the application form and attach supporting documentation (e.g. agenda for event, recipes for cooking program, etc.) if necessary. Please keep applications as accurate and concise as possible. Please forward completed applications via email or fax to:
- fax: (709) 651-1024
The Central Wellness Coalition Grants Committee will review all applications. All applicants will be informed by email or telephone within 4 weeks of application deadline.
Successful applicants will receive an email outlining the conditions of the grant approval, a project reporting form, CWC Healthy Eating Guidelines, and a copy of the CWC logo. A cheque for the approved amount will be issued by Central Health, which can take up to 3-4 weeks.
Project completion and final report
- Grant funding must be used within one year of project start date.
- Summary report form will be provided to all successful applicants. This form must be completed within one month of grant funds being used/end or program.
- Please email copies of all receipts for items purchased with grant funding. If any monies are not spent as outlined in the project budget you must connect with one of the co-chairs to discussed as it may have to be returned or redirected.
Failure to comply with these requirements will result in the organization becoming ineligible for future funding from the Central Regional Coalition.
The Central Wellness Coalition reserves the right to determine suitable uses of grant funds.